8.10.2010

Sweaters

I've got two sweaters in mind that I'm really excited about. One is the February Lady Sweater, which was adapted from an Elizabeth Zimmermann baby sweater pattern. I've liked it for a long time, but I was always concerned about where the garter yoke/lace pattern line would fall on me, and whether it would accentuate my, ahem, voluptuous bosom in an unflattering way. The other night I was thinking about it, and decided to see what it looked like knit in stockinette, rather than garter/lace. Only a few people on Ravelry had done the sweater in stockinette, but I liked what I saw. I decided to do the two-inch garter border at the neck, bottom edge, and cuffs, and do the rest in stockinette. I guess it would be similar-ish to Margot from Knitty, but as a cardigan. On the plus side, no unfortunate line placement, plus more usability (for me at least) as a fall/winter sweater. We shall see.

The other one I'm thinking about is Cecchetti, from Twist Collective Spring 2010. I'm not entirely sure, and I think I want to see it in larger sizes before committing to it. It's fingering weight on 8s, so it'll be a looser fabric, and may not work well for me. If not that, then I'll get more of the yarn I have in mind (KP Stroll Sock in Burgundy, which is redder than on the preview page at knitpicks) and maybe do Harlow, which is a gorgeous design by a fellow LSGer (and all-around excellent person!).

I'm excited about these new projects. Last year's sweater is still a bit of a disappointment, with the sleeves too big for the armholes. I learned a lot in making that sweater, so I'm not upset about it not turning out perfectly. I think it's worth another shot at that pattern, because I do love it, other than the sleeve part. It may even be worth ripping out the sleeves and readjusting to make those fit better. I'd love to have it be something I wear more often instead of something I keep at home for when I'm chilly.

Luckily the FLS is a top-down raglan, so there's no seaming. I hope it works out because I'd love to wear it at Rhinebeck this year.

No comments: