7.28.2010

Tour de Fleece

Each year during the Tour de France a bunch of us fiber freaks get together for the Tour de Fleece. Basically, you commit to spinning or working with fiber (not finished yarn) every day that the tour is run. Many people set yardage or weight goals, some choose to work with new techniques or fibers they've never used before. Some try to just spin every day without worrying about amount of time or fiber.

This year for the tour I didn't have any goals, really. I knew I wanted to finish the two projects I'd been working on last year for the tour, but other than that it was just a matter of choosing the fiber that appealed to me the most and going with it.

First up is the BFL/Silk I got at MDSW this year. This was a bag of pencil roving, some of it really felted but pretty nice for the most part. It was around 8 oz of fiber, and it ended up as a worsted-ish weight two-ply (spun on my wheel):

IMG_0517
Progress shot. So shiny!


BFL/Silk
Finished yarn
Next is one of the projects from last year, the purple and gray alpaca from last year's MDSW. This one is roughly a sport to DK weight two-ply and will probably be a shawl to take advantage of the drape of the alpaca. I tried not to overspin when I plied so it's pretty relaxed (scroll down to last year's post for the progress shot). It was spun on one of my Golding spindles and the rest was done on the Forrester I got at Rhinebeck last year.

IMG_0515
The singles in a center-pull ball to make it easier to ply.


IMG_0522
All done!

Third is a merino/alpaca blend from Bitsy Knits that I got at SVFF in 2008. Again, roughly sport-DK weight two ply. I'm not sure what it's going to be, but I love the subtle color changes.

IMG_0507
Blurry shot of the singles on a spare bobbin for storage.

IMG_0523
The singles broke when I was plying, so I have two skeins.

Finally, the laceweight merino from Spritely Goods that I was working on last year. Scroll down for progress shots of that one. By the end of the tour I'd finished the singles, just barely, but wasn't able to start plying. I also don't have updated pictures of that yet.

I started two additional projects during the tour, one on my wheel and another on my awesome Tabacheck spindle from Rhinebeck 09, but I didn't make any decent progress on either, so look for those in a future post. I'll have to prattle on about the yarn I spun while I was practicing on my wheel.

No comments: